Marquette, MI – November 26, 2019 – A piece of Christmas brought a whole lot of holiday cheer this evening as the community met in the Applebee’s parking lot for the annual “Catch the Christmas Spirit” Tree Lighting Ceremony.
Hosted by Marquette Township Business Association and Marquette Charter Township, this annual event brings hundreds of people to the Township each year to capture the Christmas Spirit. This evening we started things off with some holiday carols led by da Upper Yoopers’ Barbershop⁺ Chorus.
With the Marquette County Sheriff Deputies on standby after hearing reports that the Grinch might make an appearance, everyone felt a little safer knowing law enforcement was there to protect Christmas! As predicted, the Grinch crept in, sneaking his way through the crowd toward the power switch for the tree lights! Just in time, the Sheriff’s Department grabbed the green Christmas thief and spoiled his plan to steal Christmas! All of the kids cheered as the Grinch was hauled away and put in the back of a law enforcement vehicle, and just in time, too!
Wailing sirens started as the man of the hour made his grand entrance on the side of a township fire truck! Santa climbed out of the rig and slowly made his way through the crowd giving out hugs and high-fives to Marquette Township’s children along the way.
Once Santa got on stage, he helped us light up Christmas! The whole crowd counted down with us to zero and Santa powered up the tree. The lights flickered on and the flashing star at the top of the tree shown brightly in the night!
With the tree all lit up, it was time to head inside to warm up with snacks, hot cocoa, and pictures with Santa! Super One Foods brought cookies and juice, plus hot dogs and water. The township was there serving hot chocolate to warm everyone up and Honor Credit Union gave out tasty popcorn to munch on while waiting in line for Santa. With The Christmas Station 106.1 The Gift playing overhead, it was truly a wonderful way to welcome in the holiday season.
Special thanks to Applebee’s, Westwood Mall, Super One Foods, Honor Credit Union, the Marquette Township Fire Department, Ojibwa Casino, Aspen Dental, the Marquette County Sheriff’s Department, Cedar Motor Inn, Marquette Township Business Association, 106.1 The Gift, and Sunny 101.9!
Listen to the broadcasts that ran morning, afternoon, and evening just before the Christmas Tree Lighting:
- Walt talks about the live Music tonight at the Tree Lighting
- Randy, Walt and Mark remind you to dress warm for the Tree Lighting
- Randy talks about everything going on tonight during Catch the Christmas Spirit
- Listen to more information from Walt, Mark and Randy about the Tree Lighting
- Find out when we’ll flip the switch for the tree lighting
- Before the big storm, enjoy the Catch the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Randy talks about da Upper Yoopers Barbershop singing carols tonight
- Randy thanks all of the Catch the Christmas Tree Lighting sponsors
- Walt talks about the food you can get tonight during the Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Thanks to the Fire Department who will be giving Santa a ride
- The Sheriff’s department will be looking out for the Grinch