Tuesday, September 18, 2018 – Noon – Hudson’s Classic Grill
- Call to Order/Round Robin
- Roll Call
- Frank Stabile, Chairman (Superior Oasis)
- Jenn Wallner, Treasurer (GMWWP, CPAs, P.C.)
- Tina Henson (Tru North Federal Credit Union)
- Michael Morgan (First National Trust & Wealth Management)
- Scott Patrick (Carpet Specialists)
- Alex Baysore (Representative for Todd Noordyk, Co-Chairman) (Great Lakes Radio, Inc.)
- Cynthia Wiggins (Alpha Omega Dental Center)
- Jessica Anders, Executive Secretary (Carpet Specialists)
- Peggy Loy (Century 21)
- Adele Jacobson (Honor Credit Union)
- Approval of July 17, 2018 minutes
- Treasurer’s Report
- Bank Statement Balances (as of August 31, 2018)
- Savings Account: $7,820.61
- Checking Account: $862.72
- Budget Report: No large changes from July- biggest change was the donation of $2500 for the Underpass- came out of our reserve account.
- Bank Statement Balances (as of August 31, 2018)
- Invoices to be Paid
- Great Lakes Radio $100
- i) Letter from August 14th from Jason McCarthy thanking for the pledge of $2500 and asking for a check. Jenn cut a check and delivered it directly to the township. August 29th received Thank you letter from Marquette Township for underpass donation. Letter was read. One of the biggest donations we have done out of our reserve funding.
Motion made to approve consent agenda made by Mike Morgan. Scott Patrick supported. Motion passes unanimously at 12:20 pm.
Regular Agenda – Motion to approve regular agenda made by Scott Patrick and supported by Jenn Wallner. Motion passes unanimously at 12:21pm
- Membership Drive- kicking off membership drive early. Timeline was sent out. Current copy of 7 reasons why to join was passed around.
- 7 reasons to join/mission statement revision:
goal: to make more inviting and easier to read bring it up to date. It seems as though it was 7 different ways to basically say the same thing. .There are about 200 businesses that we can recruit and we have been stuck at around 50 for quite some time. Discussion on what kind of benefits and values can we offer and how to gain new members. Try to keep dollars in Marquette Township, by referral and networking. Needing to figure out how to put the 7 reasons to join into a format that is easier to present to potential new members, a more condensed version. Ideas of what we want to include: a way to educate new businesses (mentorship). Power in numbers. Act as a conduit between businesses in the township, express why new businesses should join and what they will receive in return for their $100 dues.
Ideas for getting membership up were discussed, such as setting up a booth at dome shows, NMU job fairs, etc. Discussion on how we need to follow up more than once after our initial contact.
Jessica will send out a current township business list with current members highlighted and will try to gather as many contact emails for current businesses
Complete detailed notes from this discussion are available.
- New: 5 Total: 49
- Potential New Business List for 2018
- Meijer Store and C-Store (Meijer Gas Station), Subaru Car Dealership, Beam and Barrel, Gander Outdoors, New Lash Parlor in old Curran Coffee Shop, Superior Chaga, Sayklly’s, North Iron Church
- Ashley visited Fraco Concrete Products, Riverside Car Dealership, Ashley Furniture, Cosmo Prof (Cosmetology Supply Company), Sally Hansen Beauty Supply, Embroidery Warehouse
- Cynthia Wiggins will speak with ReMax Embroidery Warehouse
- Michael Morgan will speak with Fraco Concrete Products
- New Business
- Unfinished Business
- Postal drop box at the Township Hall (Adele)- Adele sent to Jenn- Post office already has two drop boxes within a mile radius of the township hall- one located at the Westwood mall entrance and one located at the Cenex gas station, and another at Wal-Mart. They would not consider having one in such close proximity. She asked John the postmaster if they would consider relocating one of the existing drop boxes which would probably have to be based on existing usage. When Adele spoke with Casey she said that the post office does audit usage of drop boxes but not regularly. It’s a random order through the United States Post Office and it’s a very manual process. Suggested to send out a map of where current drop boxes are to membership. Perhaps since the mall has less businesses in it maybe that is the one they would consider moving.
- Catch the Vision Update (Todd Noordyk) (Alex) Christmas tree lighting. Alex was shown the picture of the tree that they are cutting down. One of the big promotions- stringing the lights, having businesses give a gift that connects the lights all around, people can call into the station for a chance to win one of the gifts that a business has given. About 5 people from the sales department are going to be going around to the businesses. Coordinate with Jessica so we have a posting on our website.
- Beautification of the Corridor (Information to come from Jason McCarthy on adoption of a roundabout)- Kiosk for the underpass/ adopting the roundabout which would entail taking care of the plantings. They expect volunteers to take care of it. Concerns of water supply. Something for us to think about if we want to sponsor or not and how it would work. Should get more details before making a decision. Table it until we get more info.
- Joint Meetings with Township Board – November 20. Short board meeting @11:30am. Joint meeting at 12:00pm. Think of what you may want to ask to the township. Perhaps the roundabout.
- Marquette Township Business Association Facebook Page- Start getting new postings.
- Website – Updates and New Postings (Alex Bayshore) Start getting new postings- several months since last post. Try to get that going (Alex)
- DDA Update (Todd Noordyk)
- Marquette Township Board Treasurer (Ernie Johnson) absent
- Marquette Township Planning & Zoning Administrator (Jason McCarthy) absent.
Motion to adjourn: Scott motions, Tina supports. Motion passes unanimously at 1:07 p.m.